Sunday, July 3, 2011

Tango Has Been Adopted

Tango was adopted and left today to be with his new family. Saying good-bye was a lot harder than we expected, but more on that after last nights ordeal.

I was playing ball with Avie and Tango outside when all of a sudden there was blood, a lot of blood on the steps. I couldn't figure out which dog it was at first and neither of them were acting as if they were in pain. I finally figured out it was Tango. I couldn't believe it. We don't really know what he cut his foot on but it was bad enough to need stitches and a splint. His tendon got slightly nicked. Fortunately the vet said it was superficial and once healed he'd be just fine. It was awful though! We felt horrible that his last night with us he had to spend most of it at the animal clinic. Since there was only 1 doctor, they had to keep him for a few hours. The doctor said we were welcome to come in the morning, but we wanted to pick him up once it was done. We got the call at 2:30am. When we got there he was still drugged up and had a cone around his neck. It was the saddest sight. We felt terrible. After all this little guy has already been through, we put him through this ordeal. Of course taking care of him, even for such a short amount of time took our attachment to the next level. It really didn't hit us till this morning when we knew that the family coming to see him would fall in love and take them home. (Sorry for the bad cell pics.)


In the morning he ate and was drinking water which was a very good sign. I called and gave the family coming to see him the heads-up. I was a little worried this may sway their decision on adopting, but they weren't swayed at all.

The moment they saw him, I could tell they fell in love instantly. They have two children and they were as sweet as could be. I could tell the family had a genuine love for dogs (and cats, they have two). I know Tango is going to be loved and spoiled. The cutest thing was their little girl said, "Don't worry, he is going to get a lot of love."





I tried to stay strong when we got him in the car, but the tears did come. His new family was very wonderful about it though. Sweet Tango moved up from the back to sit right in the middle. Such a handsome smile.



Trying to sneak in some kisses.



The family emailed me a photo of him on their way home. He was sleeping in the minivan right under the kids feet. I'm so happy they want to keep me updated with pictures. It makes it just a little bit easier. I'm also now Facebook friends with Tango's new family, so I'll get to keep up with him which I'm very excited about. The mom told me that on their way home her little girl said, "Pickles, we can take you back to visit your mommy sometime." What a sweet, sweet girl. Oh, and Pickles is his new name, te-he. He also sat with them while they got their bed time story and gave each of them a kiss goodnight. *Insert very big happy smile here.* I don't think a more perfect family could have been picked. :) The Rocky Mountain Lab Rescue is such a wonderful and incredible organization. I'm so glad they care as much as they do.

(I'll post more on the actual fostering experience in another post.)

No comments:

Post a Comment