Sunday, June 26, 2011

Tango's Progress - Foster Dog

Thursday, June 23rd

Tango is making some big accomplishments with some help from Avie. Avie is not allowed in the kitchen when we're cooking or eating at the table. The first evening we couldn't get Tango out from under the table. His first evening with us we let him get away with it since he was having such a hard time not being right next to us. The second day Avie and I started working with him on "out of the kitchen". I'd have him sit outside of the kitchen and as soon as I backed up, he'd follow. Avie was being such a good example trying to show him the way. After about 20 minutes of turning him around and guiding him back to where he was supposed to be, he finally stayed! I was so proud of him. He looks pretty proud too. Avie on the other hand I think was over it. ;)



He doesn't fully understand "out of the kitchen", maybe to0 many syllables, but he'll stay once I guide him outside of the kitchen and tell him to stay.

Friday, June 24th

The next big accomplishment was Tango and his crate. I'm sure a crate causes some insecurities and negative feelings for him. Since he hasn't completely figured out what to chew on and what not to chew on, he will need to be in the crate when I have to leave the house. (He sure does love to chew on his bone though which is great.) We had planned on crating him for the first night but it didn't happen. We couldn't get him in the crate and then he started trembling. I didn't have the heart to force the issue. The next day I brought the crate downstairs and put a comfy bed and toy in it. I feed him his breakfast in it with the door open and throughout the day I'd throw a treat in it for him to get. He'd creep in very slowly, grab the treat and get out! He got in a couple times and I closed the gate and walked away for about 30 seconds and opened it again. Then Avie decided to give him a little help and show him it's a safe place. [When she was younger we actually kept the crate out with the door off and she'd sleep in it sometimes. I think she missed it.]

Oh the cuteness!



I think seeing Avie in the crate worked, just look at him! It makes my heart so happy to see him go from trembling to sleeping peacefully in a crate. (Side note regarding my opinion on crates: I don't think a crate is a place for a dog to live. Dogs are pack animals and they want to be with their pack. Crates are great for potty training, and when they are going through a chewing phase and need to be left alone for a short period of time. Leaving a dog in a crate everyday for long periods of time is not a life for a dog. Get a hamster.)



Here's more pictures of them playing. Avie's 'crazy eyes' as we like to call them crack me up!







Today they each got a new toy and they each played with their own toy all day long *insert sarcasm here*. These were taken with my camera phone so they're a bit blurry.




Sweet Avie loves to have her belly scratched.



The toys however did not pass the Labrador test. They are no longer in one piece and in the trash can.

Meet our cats, CJ and September. They aren't really that happy about the additional dog, but they're minding their own business and hang out upstairs most of the time. Tango does great though. He goes up to them out of interest, but doesn't chase them. (Another blurry cell phone picture.)



If you're interested in adopting Tango, you can find out how on the Rocky Mountain Lab Rescue Website.

No comments:

Post a Comment